Need some inspiration to keep the kids happy over Winter Break?! We’ve put a list together to keep them busy and pack in some FUN. This has been a hard year for so many, but there’s still ways to stay safe and enjoy the holiday. Wishing you a very happy and healthy holiday season. XO!
1. Holiday Lights
Take the family for a drive after dinner, and check out some amazing Christmas light displays! Here are some to head to:
- The Gress House Holiday Light Spectacular, 14 Johnson Ave. Union Beach, NJ
- The Sisti Family Christmas Lights, 300 Block of Pitney Ave. Spring Lake, NJ
- Johnny’s Holiday Light Extravaganza, 3 Bauer Ave. Hazlet, Nj
- Ferrante Light Display, 12 Virginia Terrace, West Long Branch, NJ
- Magic of Lights, PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel, NJ
There’s an entire Facebook page dedicated to finding some of the best lights around in Monmouth County and Ocean County, click here for more information!
2. Go Sledding!
There’s plenty of snow on the ground, and maybe we’ll even see a White Christmas! Check out our local sledding guide here!
3. Give Back
What’s better than giving back to others in need during the holiday season? Include the kids and find ways to give back to those less fortunate during these unfortunate times. We put together a Guide to Giving Back this holiday season where you can learn about various Monmouth County organizations dedicated to helping others. You can check it out here!
4. Shop & Eat Local
We LOVE supporting local, especially during these challenging times.
– Pick up last minute gifts or take the kids shopping over break. You’ll find the perfect list of local businesses in our 2020 Holiday Gift Guide (click here!). Many are offering curbside pickup and have online ordering options too!
– Throw in the kitchen towel and order some takeout from local restaurants. There’s TONS of delicious options all throughout Monmouth County. Check out our dining section for ideas in your area! You can find it here.
5. Take a Hike!
Need to get some fresh air and work off those Christmas cookies? It’s cold out, but the Monmouth County Park System is still beautiful this time of year! There’s SO many parks to take a small hike, go for a walk/run, or do some outdoor activities with the kids.
One of our favorite places to go for a long walk is Manasquan Reservoir, it’s incredibly scenic, and there’s a five mile trail along the perimeter of the reservoir. Make sure you take pictures, it’s really something!
Holmdel Park offers a paved trail, perfect for strollers, and for the older ones, a 3-mile fitness trail.
Thompson Park is a great spot for the whole family. They have a dog park, five mile paved trail perfect for running strollers, and a huge playground. We’ll definitely be here over the holidays!
For a full list of over 138 miles of trails here in Monmouth County, click here! And don’t forget to sign up for the many activities in the parks this Winter, as we are very lucky to have such an amazing park system. A full list is here!