The first day of school has come and gone, the kiddos are back into the swing of things, and the routines associated with the school year are starting to take shape, but too often the dental habits remain in vacation mode. Here are some quick tips from Atlantic Pediatric Dentistry to keep those teeth in tip top shape for the year ahead.
1. Head back to your dental routine: The lazy days of summer can have kids missing some brushing and flossing sessions, but now is a great time to re-establish a preventative routine at home. Brushing 2 times per day and flossing 1 time per day will have your dentist singing their praises at your next checkup.
2. Get to Bed on Time: Children who stay up past their bedtime tend to need to snack/drink more frequently as a means of stimulation to stay awake. A good night’s sleep will keep them out of the pantry and away from those sugary treats.
3. Avoid Sweet Treats: When heading down the aisles of the grocery store looking form “snack time” items, be sure to choose items that are lower in sugar that don’t tend to stick in the grooves of the back teeth. Some excellent snack items are fresh fruits, nuts,
cheese, and plain yogurts.
4. Water for the Win: Drinking water is great for keeping you little one hydrated, but it will also help to remove the plaque that hold the cavity causing bacteria from building up.
5. Schedule your Dental Visit: A great way to avoid missing days from school is to make sure that your teeth are in tip top shape. Be sure to see the dentist twice a year to avoid tooth pain which is extremely distracting and painful.
200 White Road
Little Silver, NJ 07739