One of the most fantastic things about living in Monmouth County? We get to experience all four seasons. And what’s not to love about fall? The colors, the smells, the tastes, all the feels! THE WEATHER! The comfortable weather lets us be outside with a sweater and some boots. Get those kids outdoors for some apple picking in Monmouth County! Once you have the perfect array of apples, don’t forget to make some yummy apple recipes; we have listed one for you to try! Happy Fall Y’all!
181 Country Rd. 537 East. Colts Neck, NJ
- Monday – Friday (9 am – 5pm)
- Saturday – Sunday (9am – 6pm)
91 Wemrock Rd. Freehold, NJ
- Monday – Sunday (9am – 6pm)
Sheet-Pan Apple-Butter Bars
Recipe from Parents Magazine, October 2018
These are excellent for a party! Bake up to 48 hours beforehand and refrigerate.
- 12 Tbs. unsalted butter (1 1/2 Sticks), softened, cut into 1-in. pieces, plus more for pan
- 2, 6 oz apples, such as Gala, cored and finely diced (2 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 tsp. group cinnamon, divided
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbs. apple butter, divided
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9 x 13 in. pan and line it with parchment paper, letting the parchment overhang on the long sides. In a small bowl, combine the apples with 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and 2 Tbs. apple butter.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, remaining 1 tsp. cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Add the butter, and rub it in with your fingers until the mixture starts to clump together. Stir in the oats. Remove 1 1/2 cups of the mixture and set aside. Press the remainder of the mixture firmly and evenly into the prepared pan.
- Spread remaining 1 cup apple butter over the crust. Sprinkle with the apple mixture, and then top with the reserved flour mixture. Bake for 40 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely, about 2 hours, in pan on a wire rack. Use parchment paper to lift uncut bars from pan. Cut into 20 squares.
Nutrition Per Serving:
247 Calories; 2g protein; 8g fat (4g saturated fat); 42g carbs; 2g fiber; 29g sugar; 1mg iron; 13mg calcium; 114mg sodium