Chipotle Chicken Salad with Spicy Honey Vinaigrette
—by Nicole Todd | Sea Salt and Honey
Come summertime, there’s nothing easier to make for dinner than grilled chicken. This recipe for Chipotle Chicken is so simple (yet delicious) that it can be used on anything! From Tex-Mex salads (like the outrageous one below) or as the main ingredient in fajitas, it’s a quick, versatile way to make chicken for an outstanding weeknight meal.
- 4-6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/8 cup olive oil (add 1-2 more tbsp if needed)
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, diced
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Whisk the olive oil, diced chipotles, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper together. Place the chicken in a medium bowl and pour the marinade over top, taking care to massage the chicken with clean hands or using kitchen tongs to ensure the marinade is evenly distributed. Marinate for 2 hours.
When you’re ready to cook, remove chicken from fridge and allow it to come to room temperature as your grill or broiler heats up.
Grill chicken over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes per side, or until chicken is slightly charred and reaches 165°.
When the chicken is done, allow it to rest and cool slightly before slicing.
While the chicken cooks, assemble the salad with lettuce on the bottom and the rest of the ingredients on top. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup cooked corn, removed from husk
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 3/4 can black beans, rinsed
- 6 sweet mini peppers, sliced
- 3/4 cup Mexican-blend cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup tortilla strips
adapted from Once Upon a Chef
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, diced
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- Put all ingredients in the bowl of a mini food processor or blender. Process until smooth. Vinaigrette can be kept in a jar in the refrigerator for 1-2 weeks. You may need to whisk again before serving if ingredients settle.