Spring Break is approaching and many of us take to the roads or airways to get to our destinations. Vacation is like music to our ears but the getting to and from can be a hassle for any mama. Kids bring an extra level of zest to any scenario, and traveling is no different. Below are some tips and tricks to help you on your journeys. Good luck out there and remember, they serve booze on the plane!
The very thought of traveling with kids is a daunting one. There’s so much stuff and so little space. Getting on a plane with kids and carry ons is like having a kids birthday party in your work cubicle, minus the party part. Space and patience is limited. The Stella and Dot Camo bag is mom’s best travel buddy. The compartments allow for an organized space to put your and your children’s belongings. The collapsable sides allow it be stowed away in the overhead compartment or under your seat.
- Pace yourself. If you have a bag full of toys, games, and other entertainment for the kids don’t let them go through it too quickly, pace the entertainment and fill in the gaps with some snacks or trips to the bathroom 🙂
- If traveling with infants, make sure to pack your bag with an extra pair of clothes for you and the little one. Accidents happen in air as much as they do on the ground.
- Try to time snacking or meals around take off or landing or both. Distract them as much as possible during those times, it will make your life so much easier and also help with their ears popping
Always make sure you are fully stocked with snacks for the kids. No one likes a meltdown to start or end vacation. Keeping healthy snacks on you will eliminate the hunger or sugar spiral downward. Therese Bonanni, local registered dietician, gives us some sound advise on how to keep everyone in check while traveling. “Ideally, kids (and adult!) snacks should be balanced. They should contain more than just carbohydrates, such as a bag of pretzels. Pairing traditional carb-heavy snacks with a protein source will keep kids satisfied longer (aka not asking for another snack 5 minutes later!) and hopefully get you to your next destination while traveling. Some on-the-go examples are crunchy snap pea crisps, trail mix and fruit, and yes, even ice cream is technically carbs and protein!”
- Pack bars. They are easy for transport and your don’t have to worry about the temperature. Here are some links to some yummy bars:
- Hydrate. Dehydration can cause issues for everyone. Even though it will mean more trips to the bathroom, everyone will be happier if they are hydrated.
- Keep wet wipes and your own garbage bag handy. Wet wipes are the easiest way to clean up a mess and having your own garbage bag makes it easier to contain the mess.
It’s hard for us moms to think about ourselves sometimes, but after all it’s our vacation too! When we are dressed right, it feels so good! No whining or meltdowns are going to stop us from having fun! Have some clutch pieces in your suitcase! This Floral Frill Maxi skirt is hands down a necessity to bring on vacay! NJ’s leading fashion blogger, Tammy Leopaldi, editor House of Leo Blog pairs it with a simple tank. I mean, how perfect is that for a night out with the fam?
Pair it with this gorgeous Rose Gold Ice Bracelet for only $89. This bracelet will literally make heads turn with its sparkle! This beautiful piece adds to your wrist party on any given day!
Call a Travel Agent and make a friend. Seriously, do it. Travel Agents/Advisors will become your best friend. They give you the best advice, they alleviate tasks from your plate, and they are a phone call away when you need them .
Here are a list of helpful truth worthy travel agents in the area that we recommend:
- Zotto Travel-Kariann, [email protected]
- Rope Drop Travel, The Disney Mom- Jade, [email protected]
- The Mint Collection-Julie, [email protected]
The Monmouth Moms will be bringing you more travel guides this week to Florida’s hotspots like Key West, Palm Beach, and Naples. Happy traveling mamas! xoxo, The Monmouth Moms
For more tips and tricks on traveling with your kids, check another article featured on The Local Moms Network
Photos provided by: Stella and Dot, Navesink Wellness Center, House of Leo Blog, Touchstone Crystal